12th Mar


Preparing for an EU Exit ; What do farmers need to know?

As we head closer to the 29th March and our scheduled departure from the EU, below are some facts about how the UK’s departure will affect agricultural businesses. We are encouraging farmers to urgently prepare their businesses for departure from the EU, to ensure there is no barriers to trading after the exit date. We have answer some of the common question’s farmers are asking DEFRA when preparing for Brexit below;

Will the no deal affect the Basic Payment Scheme?

In 2019, EU funding of BPS will continue, and applicants will need to follow the same rules and guidance as they have done previously. The RPA will continue to administer the scheme, for further details please visit

Will the Agriculture Bill be impacted by EU exit?

The Bill is currently waiting for a date to return for the third reading at the House of Commons, however as it legislates for the UK’s future agricultural policy, it is not dependent on any deal between the UK and EU. In terms of support payments (BPS/CS), the Government have committed to ensuring their continuation for the next two years until the end of this Government in 2022.

Will the Government be introducing trade tariffs?

Work is ongoing to prepare for all Brexit scenarios with focus DEFRA’s focus being prepared on for a No- Deal scenario including work on secondary legislation to act as an insurance policy in the event of this.

DEFRA have confirmed that the tariff regime will be a balance between protecting consumers from price impacts in the event of a no deal and avoiding exposing sensitive industries to competition. For further information, please visit

What would no deal mean for seasonal workers?

A future skills-based immigration system will be introduced in January 2021, however there will be a transition period prior to it’s introduction to ensure access to the UK for seasonal workers. During this transition period, EEA citizens will be able to enter the UK for work, visit or study, as they do now for an initial stay of up to three months. If they wish to stay longer, they will need to apply for a ‘European Temporary Leave to Remain’, which will be granted up to 36 months based on identity, criminal and security checks.

A new pilot scheme introduced will allow for non-EEA migrant workers to undertake seasonal employment in the edible Horticultural sector in the UK. To find out more information visit

Imports and Exports of animals and animal products

In the event of a no-deal to continue to export to the EU we will need to be listed by the EU as a third country. DEFRA have confirmed that this process is on track to be completed by the exit date.

If you are exporting to an EU country-

To export animals/ animal products you will need an Export Health Certificate (EHC), consignment will need to enter the EU via an Border Inspection Post (there is not one at Calais) and exports will have to ensure they comply with customs requirements. For further information please visit

If you are importing from EU countries-

There will be a new EU health certificate replacing the EU certificate (TRACES). The new certificates will be called the Intra Trade Animal Health Certificate (ITAHC). Importers Who currently notify TRACES will need to send information electronically through a different route. Further information will follow shortly.

What if I’m importing from a non-EU third countries?

A new system called ‘Imports of products, animals, food and feed system’ (IPAFFS) is being developed to notify imports and will be introduced in stages. Imports of high-risk food and feed not of animal origins must enter the UK at a Designated Point of Entry (DPE). For further information please visit

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact Lynette Steel at our Head Office on 0118 9306130.

Share This :